Making your own Advent Calendar

November 29, 2010

Happy Advent! We’re a little old school here – no Christmas tree yet! Its Advent and we are in the season of preparation for Christmas.

The pine roping is hung, the wreath is up and the house smells glorious!

We’ve also brought out our Advent calendar. It’s amazing how many of them are out there these days. Just keep in mind that if you are looking for an authentic Advent countdown to Christmas, the calendar should count down the days from the first Sunday in Advent (the 28th of November this year), rather than from the first of December!

Because the number of days in Advent varies each year, we have made our own calendar!

I found small brown bags at the local craft store (super inexpensive) and printed out numbers to countdown to Christmas. The kiddos helped me glue them on. We string up the bags across the doorways. On one side of the doorway is pine roping and on the other side are the Advent bags.

In each bag there is a little chocolate, hey, I love traditions old AND new 🙂 and there is also a little factoid about Christmas. They cover everything from basic Christmas lore like where Jesus was born to the “real” meaning of the Christmas carol – The 12 Days of Christmas! (Let me know if you’d like a copy of the Christmas facts to use.)

The kids love having their turn to open the bag, read the note and, of course, eat the chocolate.

Best of all, we multi-purpose the string the Advent bags are on. As the bags come down, we hang up Christmas cards from friends and family.

Its a great way to display the cards and decorate through-out the season.

So, Happy Advent, and just 26 days till Christmas!

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Harmony November 29, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Great idea Sierra!
I’m thinking about coming up with an advent calendar that can be reused every year even though the # of days are different. Hmmm. I’ll let you know if I come up with anything.
I’d love a copy of your facts.

2 Maryam November 30, 2010 at 4:30 am

hi sierra! it’s good to see you here and happy 5th baby due in may! how exciting 🙂
thanks for this great post about advent, full of things i didn’t know. i’d love the list of christmas info—gotta love factoids!

3 Jessica November 30, 2010 at 6:08 am

I love this idea! I’ve been wanting an Advent calendar, and this is a great solution. I would love a copy of your Christmas facts. 🙂

4 Krystyn November 30, 2010 at 11:34 am

What a great idea. Last year, we did a paper chain. This year, I think we could do something like this (of course, we’d be a couple days late). I’d love to have the factoids you printed out.

5 Jennifer Ward December 1, 2010 at 5:39 am

I love you and all of your amazing ideas! Would you send me along the factoids, such a clever idea to add to the sugar high! I will be slaving on this tonight! Miss you tons my friend.
xoxo

6 Kristin December 1, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Would LOVE a copy of those factoids!! 🙂 And the advent calendar is ADORABLE!

7 Musings of a Housewife December 2, 2010 at 3:07 pm

I love this. Brilliant! We bought the Advent calendars at Trader Joe’s and I hate that there is no message to go with the chocolate.

8 Gregory Anne Ormsby December 1, 2011 at 6:01 pm

I would love a copy of your facts. Neat idea! Thanks for sharing.

9 ALi April 9, 2014 at 1:26 am

Caroline wrote.. We have them in Denmark, got one from the christmas cneladar-tv-show that comes everyday in TV XD, a cneladar with chocolate and one where you can win money XDlove opening a window every morning, you always know how many days there are left until christmas ^^And Anna, you’re such an inspiration, if 12 years old and you’re one of my style icons<3thanks.